I have been writing this column for over twenty-five years now and in order to better assist readers who are not students of astrology I offer some suggestions as to how to use the monthly summary.
Read the summary with your calendar that shows the whole month on one page. Read through the intro and make note of the days that I point out. Mark the new Moon and the full Moon. The days between the new Moon and the full Moon are when you generally want to start something that you want to grow. Do look at that Moon void chart and take a rest on those days. I have discovered that no matter what I plan, it turns out another way on a Moon void day. Anything you try to accomplish will turn out with unexpected results.
Make note of the three days before the new Moon. People usually get anxious during these days because the phone does not ring or they feel confused or simply nothing is happen. That is because it is wind down time before the new Moon. You will usually notice that the action of life picks up once the new Moon occurs. Also note the days that planets change directions, especially Mercury retrograde.
Hopefully these suggestions will give you a bit of a start to maneuvering through life with astrology.
I seem to be having some spacing problems, so you may notice extra spaces and out of line columns. I am not sure if I have developed an unwanted typing habit or if my hard drive is about to die. So I did my pre Mercury retrograde diligence and backed up my computer for the first time this year.
I present you October.
October has the potential to be an interesting month. We will be dealing with the same old issues in our lives and on the world stage. However, unexpected players come onto the field while the usual suspects will do unexpected things surprising us. Upsets lead to innovation so buckle up and get ready for the ride. It will be bumpy but entertaining.
Pluto, retrograde in Capricorn since April 24, goes direct October 2/3. While I will always say that Pluto retrograde is a time of healing; Pluto retrograde is also a time of identifying our inner desires including our darker feelings. In the days since April 24 we have really seen some darker sides of people in the news. Hopefully, dear reader, you have been considering what makes you tick the way you tick during this time. Once Pluto goes direct it is time to pack it up and get on with life.
- Right before Pluto goes direct, Venus in Libra is square Pluto in October 1. Jealousy and intense feelings are sure to come up for some of us but especially Libra and Capricorn. This intensity most likely erupted in the last few days of September. Later in the month on October 14 the Sun in Libra is square Pluto. Walk around the Libras and Capricorns so you do not get involved in the drama.
Mercury moves through Scorpio October 3 to December 9. Mercury in Scorpio has us thinking about the deeper facets of life. Obsessive thoughts can derail even the wisest of us. These are the kind of thoughts where we cannot stop thinking about that person and they do not share the same obsession. At the same time, though, Mercury in Scorpio can get to the bottom of questions and dilemmas. Our words can be piercing and hurtful while Mercury moves through Scorpio. Scorpio, Aquarius, Taurus, and Leo are the most harshly affected by Mercury in this sign. Get to the bottom of any subject but be careful who you step on or betray along the way.
Mercury spends so much time in Scorpio because it turns retrograde October 31 until November 20. We start to feel it right around October 21. Did I hear sighs of upset and fear? Many times people in some sort of upset will ask me if Mercury is retrograde. Mercury retrograde is not a bad thing that happens to us. Mercury retrograde says take a break and go back to the drawing board. Back up the computers and pay attention to the small details of life. Leave early for appointments and don’t take that big expensive trip while Mercury is retrograde. If you do travel, you will have to deal with delays and disappointments.
Since this Mercury retrograde occurs in Scorpio we will be reevaluating our partnerships as well as our taxes and insurance. Research new policies and consider your taxes for the next year.
Many of us will end relationships and make final payments to a loan. Remember Mercury is about finishing tasks not beginning new ones. When someone or something from the past comes around it is just for a completion and will most likely not last.
- Mercury in Scorpio is opposite Uranus October 7. This transit is sure to upset the apple cart. Expect the unexpected. Once the dust settles you will learn that good things are born out of the distress. This is especially true for Taurus, Scorpio, Leo, and Aquarius.
- Mercury is sextile Saturn in Capricorn October 14. This is a very practical aspect. We can accomplish a lot now with logical thinking. Get organized but wait until after the Moon moves into Taurus at 11:24 am CDT. The other challenge today is the Sun is square Pluto which can bring up manipulation along with power and control issues. Try to be the one who is sane now. At the same time October 15 Mercury is trine Neptune. This is a great time to make strides in working with authorities in order to get a favor and gain a foothold in accomplishing our goals
- Mercury is sextile Pluto October 19. This is not a frivolous day. Our thoughts will be deep and many of us will rather sit and think instead of chatting.
- -Mercury and Venus are conjunct in Scorpio October 30. This is a wonderful day to tell someone we care or love them especially for Scorpio, Pisces and Cancer. Ask for favors now and your wish will most likely be granted.
Mars moves through Libra October 4 to November 18/19. Mars began a new two year cycle on September 2. This began a new cycle of our self that goes out and makes life happen. Mars is not at his best in Libra so our efforts may be hard to initiate. While Mars moves through Libra, many of us will want to debate and are able to get what we want with panache. The down side is that some of us will act passive aggressively. Mars in Libra lights a fire under Libra to stop sitting on that fence. This transit is most easy for Aquarius and Gemini as they will be able to glide through the bumps of life.
- During October 15 to 26 we will feel Mars passing halfway between the nodes of the Moon. This is one of the biggest themes of the month. This will bring up issues and challenges that have been an ongoing pattern. If you have a habit of being irritated by your parents, one of them is sure to push that same button they have always pushed. Those of us who possess the button must consider how we can grow beyond our former behavior in lieu of an enlightened approach to the same old baloney. The best advice this month is to pick your battles wisely and do not ignore your health.
- We will feel Mars in Libra square Saturn in Capricorn October 23 to November 2. The aspect is exact October 27. Mars and Saturn at this angle show us where we need to reconsider our actions. Mars says, “Yep lets get on the road.” Saturn says, “Did you service the car and did you pack all the luggage?” Many of us will feel blocked during this aspect and that is because we are not quite prepared just yet. Not to mention Mercury is about to turn retrograde. On the world stage we can expect more of our youth challenging the status quo. The status quo would do well to listen because ultimately Mars and the youth will become the new status quo in the coming years. The Sun is square Saturn October 7 will give you some hints as to what to expect when Mars comes into the same square. Restrictions will be attacked by some, while others will try to hold the current restrictions in place.
Venus moves through Scorpio October 8 to November 1. Venus is not considered to be so good in Scorpio because this planet can compel us to feel jealousy and revenge. If you are into power, control, passion, intensity and a good leather outfit or even a whip, then Venus in Scorpio will be a delightful time. Many of us will explore our dark side through our costumes this Halloween.
- Venus opposes Uranus October 12. It is time to make some changes. Exciting people are in our lives now. Since Uranus is involved, lower your expectations for longevity of the relationship. You can still have fun.
- Venus sextile Saturn in Capricorn October 20 brings out our passion for someone special. Many of us will yearn for a mate. Relationships are positive but serious. The is the time to lay a lasting foundation.
- Life gets very idealistic and romantic October 21 when Venus is trine Neptune.
Just about anything is possible. Scorpio and Pisces are especially tuned in in a good way. The romance in the air is palpable. Listen to your intuition.
- Venus is sextile Pluto October 25. This productive aspect provides us with a focus to do something we love. Go do that thing you have always wanted to do now. You may just find a new hobby that could lead to a new career.
It seems normal that in any calendar month the new Moon would come before the full Moon. Since the new Moon was late last month here we are at the peak of the lunar cycle on October 13 at 4:08 pm CDT. If occurs at twenty degrees Aries in the zodiac and the Sun is sextile Jupiter while the Moon is trine Jupiter. Who wants to be a hero? This is the time for many of us to step up to the plate of life. Prepare yourself so that you can hit a home run. Most efforts should pay off with ease now and in the days before the new Moon.
The new Moon occurs at 4 degrees Scorpio on October 27 at 10:38 pm CDT. The new Moon in Scorpio compels us to take action that leads to more power over our lives. This new Moon happens opposite Uranus. Uranus is inspiring and innovative and exciting. Uranus can also bring anxiety and interesting or strange people into our lives. Unexpected events are unsettling but ultimately we will see it was for the best. This should be an exciting lunar cycle for many of us.
Uranus is in the fifth house of the United States. Every new Moon that occurs from this month until March 2020 closely aspects Uranus in Taurus. The fifth house rules stock markets and children. Each of these new Moons will bring the issues regarding the younger generations to the forefront. The plight of immigrant children, the activist children, enslaved children and children who have been used by adults. Children will be influencing the world, like it or not. This theme was augmented in July by the eclipse pattern that occurred then.
Plan for surprising market moves in the coming months. I am not so sure you need to start stock piling beans in the basement though.
The Sun moves through Scorpio October 23 until November 22. While the Sun moves through Scorpio, we cannot be bothered with the fluff of life. Stick to small and intimate groups when socializing. We will all want to connect on a deeper level.
- The Sun is opposite Uranus in Taurus October 28. Some of us will need independence while others are inspired by people who are unique to us. A chance encounter will be intense. Do not expect it to last.